26 Broken Bones

Trip of a Lifetime

In April, 2009 I set off on what I had hoped would be the experience of a lifetime. It was, but not in the way I thought it would be. I have travelled to many places on my own so this solo trip was not exceptional for me. What was exceptional was that Luxor is a place I have wanted to visit since I was 7 years of age so this was the dream of a lifetime being fulfilled.

At Luxor Airport I met a small group of English Women who were also making their way to The Flower of Light Retreat Centre. One of the ladies had been given some money by her husband to go on the early morning hot air balloon trip to see the sun rise over the Valley of the Kings but as she had no one to accompany her I agreed to go.

The Accident

On the Saturday morning I was woken by this lady saying we had missed our transport to the airfield. I wasn’t unduly upset and promptly went back to sleep until she came in again saying they had come back for us. Within 15 minutes we were being hustled out of the transport and into the balloon basket. The place was pandemonium. The balloon was being restrained by about 20 Arabs clinging onto ropes and a lorry appeared to be holding it by being in reverse gear. The noise and shouting was terrifying. The balloon Captain didn’t look very happy with the situation and was shouting at the men. I was just listening to my inner voice telling me to get out of the basket when it lifted off the ground. I glanced across at my companion and I could tell she was feeling like I was. I looked up at the balloon to see it change from a round orb to a cigar shape, and then it exploded.

I didn’t know then but what had happened was that the Captain had taken off against a weather warning and had also overloaded the basket. As we travelled up over the rim of the valley the cross wind had blown the balloon onto a mobile phone mast, which pierced it. I heard the Captain shout, “You will be okay, Just relax.” I was icy calm. I felt as though my inside had been switched off. I was standing next to a very tiny elderly lady and it occurred to me that when we hit the ground she would fly out so I pinioned her in the corner with my left arm. When we hit the ground I heard my leg break and promptly passed out.

When I came to, I was trapped in the bottom of the basket on my own. I looked out over the valley floor and it was just like a battle field. There were bodies lying everywhere. I called out for help and two men got me underneath my arms and pulled me out and laid me on a raised area of the field. I looked down and could see the bones of my left leg were sticking out through my trousers. People kept looking at me and walking passed. I knew I was passing in and out of consciousness as each time I came to I could see that the number of people lying around was diminishing. I didn’t know that this was because I was so badly hurt they were waiting for paramedics to come and collect me. I couldn’t move and I could hear things scuttling around underneath my head. I was terrified. It seemed as though I had been lying there for about an hour or more. I know now that the only people left on the field besides myself, were the dead. I can’t remember much of the 10 days that I was in the hospital in Luxor.

My head and neck were put into something resembling a medieval scolds bridle as they discovered I had two broken vertebrae in my neck. I won’t go into detail of the trying time I had in the hospital there – only to advise you don’t be taken ill if you visit Luxor! Eventually I was put onto a life support machine and flown back by Medicare to the UK. Two handsome German Medics and a private Lear Jet and I can’t remember the trip. What a waste!

26 Broken Bones

My first two weeks in the UK were at a Hospital out of my home area in an intensive nursing unit. It was here that I learned the full extent of my injuries. I had broken collar bones, multiple broken ribs, two vertebrae broken in my neck, 5 broken in my back including an unstable fracture of the L1, a cracked pelvis and a shattered left leg and foot. The other problem was that they still couldn’t get my oxygen levels up and stable. My left leg was put into an external fixator, which eased the pain considerably then I was moved to a hospital in my home area and here I was put in the care of three specialists. I was told that because it was so long since the accident that my vertebrae had already started to soften in the areas that had needed surgery to repair. The only course of action was that I would have to lie perfectly still for at least 12 weeks and pray the bones repaired correctly. The specialist said, “It’s up to you. If you want to walk again you do as your told.”

My Healing Journey

My parents were worried because they knew what a full life I had and how I was always busy. They were convinced I wouldn’t be able to keep still. I couldn’t have a TV in my room but the wall in front of my bed was plastered with over 130 cards from family, friends and well wishers, so I kept my mind occupied trying to recall who had sent each one. When the pain got unbearable I started with the card at the top left of the wall and worked my way along the rows. While I was doing this one day, not even being allowed to lift my arms up, I remembered an incident when Michael D’Alton had dislocated his shoulder and he refused to go to hospital having faith in the power of the healing system he teaches. I thought this is where I stand up and be counted (Figuratively speaking at that time!). I tell everyone how great Bio-Energy Healing is, I work with it for the benefit of other people, now I must work with it for myself. As soon as I got a plan in my mind it was as though I had switched off all the Poor Me thoughts and felt positive that I would get well. I had something to aim for – walking out of the room under my own steam.

I started channelling energy from the top of my head down my spine three times a day. My healer friends around the world were sending me messages telling me they were arranging healing circles to support me. Lovely Liz in London contacted me and kept my spirits up with her messages informing me my friends were sending me energy each day. I know that the love and spiritual help I received from those dedicated, caring people pulled me through those very dark days.

When I thought things couldn’t get worse, they did. I contracted MRSA in the wound on the top of my head. It was a pretty scary time but I asked everyone to concentrate on the bug being obliterated. It took nearly three weeks but it went. I now have a lovely crescent moon shaped indentation across my back brow chakra. How neat is that……..

Just as I was celebrating the bug going my dearly loved father had a massive stroke and died. I was devastated as I had looked after him for so long and not to be with him at the end was heart wrenching. It really hurts that I couldn’t go to him to say goodbye but I have many happy memories of the times we worked together which mean so much.

Eventually, came the day when I was to be raised up slightly in bed. It was a horrible experience and even worse was the day I sat up fully. I lasted about 30 seconds before I passed out. After that I knew what was going to happen so I prepared myself with extra energy before the Physio folk arrived. I couldn’t get my legs to move at first and putting any weight on them was unbearable. The first steps were painful and standing with a metal frame – I hated the picture that came into my head and thought, this isn’t for me! It took me four weeks from that day to walk with elbow crutches and I felt the door to the hospital getting nearer, which urged me on.

The day came 16 weeks after the accident. The Specialist is amazed at how well my spine has mended. It is curved in all the correct places and the L1 is looking pretty good. My leg isn’t 100% yet but we are getting there. I can walk for a reasonable amount of time but haven’t got to the measured mile yet, that will be done by the end of summer. I have my balance now and have been doing healing sessions for some time. My specialist told me two weeks ago that I could start working in six weeks time. I told him, “I’ve been working since last November”

Who says complimentary therapy doesn’t work!

This is written with my most sincere thanks and gratitude to all the healers who helped with my recovery and those that instilled in me: ‘Where thought goes – energy follows’.

Bright Blessings,
Linda Lea